Register Forum Rules Recent Forum Posts View Members Advanced Search
September 20th, 2013
Because it is very likely that is not what the DBOPS team will be doing if the project starts to come to fruition; our best bet is emulating the game and using a lot of our own code/content. There are many glitches and goofy things in DBO that it wouldn't really make sense to create again anyways.

For one, using the term private server is like a google hotzone and a quick way to get shut down if anyone happened to google it. I don't think that would ever happen, but the point is you don't want to get a year or two into the process only to have it happen and the work all be wasted. It's a simple precaution and likely it won't really be a private server anyways.

We would be a community of gamers that is operating under the private/personal use clause of licensing

Just something important I thought we should bring up and HAS been brought up in numerous other topics like darkkingdom's sticky and Dumke's various posts on the subject.

So have we decided that emulation is the true goal yet? Because the sooner the team gets on board with that, the sooner we can begin having the programmers dig in. I just don't see us being able to rip the server files, and anyways that would likely be truly illegal in numerous countries, regardless of what we're doing with said data (not sure about Chinese/Korean copyright laws)

I am very optimistic this can be done provided there is support and patience, and have been on board to do this ever since I heard the game was closing down.

Last edited on September 20th, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
September 20th, 2013
Dragon Ball Online Private Server is not the OFFICIAL name. However for the time being, we're calling it that, particularly because we don't necessarily have a name picked out and just need to fall back on that name until otherwise.

I can see that everyone is just now getting comfortable with their role and is settling down so things can be ready to motion into full swing. So, I wouldn't want our team to rush anything important.
September 20th, 2013
Definitely good sir, just trying to nip this particular problem in the bud ;D

The project leaders should come together at one point and pick something a bit better soon, once they have their board of choice picked out and everyone is located there.

Also I wasn't referring to the name of the project as much as the people who keep throwing around the term 'Private Server', because that just conjures up the wrong vibe hehe.

Last edited on September 20th, 2013 at 01:41 AM.
September 20th, 2013
I get where your coming from but even emulating the game we can still be sued.

You can bend it which ever way you want but the game is still copyrighted and own by NTL and we can still be sued.

Also I really don't care if we track attention though I guess it wouldn't be good for dbocom.
September 20th, 2013
Nah, that's the whole point, you can't be sued or have any legal action taken provided you go about it the right way; just look at SWGEmu. They have taken VERY careful steps to insure they are safe and their work is safe, and they are trying to work around LucasArts, which has waaaay more resources and a killer legal team working for them to prevent things like people doing their own Battlefront servers and such. I would know because back in the day they regularly got emails about it and such, but no legal action was ever undertaken due to the fact they did it the right way.

To be honest though, when you buy the discs for a game you essentially own everything on the disc or at least have a license for fair use, under which things like the Emu are covered. I have no idea what our license allows us to do under DBO's stuff though. The big difference obviously is that we didn't buy the game - it's free to play and so the licensing may be different.

For example, they wouldn't be able to say we were infringing on potential profits because the game will already be closed down by then. We may be very thankful about the language barrier too, because right off the bat that is going to present difficulty for them being able to even assess what we're doing hehe
September 20th, 2013
Good idea, but the name is the least of our worries, don't worry, like Greysen said, we're just settling into our roles, alright I hope you have a nice day! :)
September 20th, 2013
This will definitely be handled. I believe Dumke has already picked out a name but we haven't actually agreed on anything yet.

When we decide on a name it will be posted in the team board for everyone to post their opinions.
September 20th, 2013
This will definitely be handled. I believe Dumke has already picked out a name but we haven't actually agreed on anything yet.

When we decide on a name it will be posted in the team board for everyone to post their opinions.

Well like I said the name isn't as important as the way people are perceiving what we're doing if you get me; for instance, the numerous private servers for WoW and some other games that have caused legit legal trouble.

But yar, good to know you badasses are on top of things hehe, I'll definitely be there every step of the way throughout what could be a longer process. Looking good so far actually, things are beginning to come together which is great for being like, less than a week into it.
September 20th, 2013
What I'm hoping is that our server will be seen as a legitimate version of DBO by the community, on equal ground with the soon to be former Korean, Taiwanese and Hong Kong servers.
September 20th, 2013
What I'm hoping is that our server will be seen as a legitimate version of DBO by the community, on equal ground with the soon to be former Korean, Taiwanese and Hong Kong servers.

Well it will be the only one unless you guys release the code and let people run their own; with people like Jocer and Cit at the helm, who know the game inside and out and have known for YEARS what the game really needed in terms of balance and features, it's going to be better than the original game, just like with SWGEmu.

Sorry to keep bringing up SWGEmu, but it's the only success story of the many that have tried that road hehe. Dragon Ball is a strong ip; one thing you will never have to worry about is interest from the randoms hehe.

I'll restrict these topics to the right sections from now on as well ;D